Friday, July 2, 2021

Oathbreaker



Oathbreaker is the 2nd song in “The Lonely Space Monkey Pt.1” Compilation album. 

I met Darryl Edmund “Oathbreaker” Kho (DEOK), a professional super-middle weight boxer, in one of those “what-metal-t-shirt-you-are-wearing-in-the-elevator” moment in late 2019. I was all suit up before a business meeting with a client in the same building where DEOK works. Yes, he was wearing a rather eye-catching metal music t-shirt. 

We exchanged contacts quickly and stayed in touch. After a few conversations with DEOK, my own discussion with Rex, ESP will be penning a song for DEOK for his “Walk-Out” for his fight. The timing felt right, and the spare track Rex had written was overloaded a fighter-vibe. The kinda of intro that makes you all pumped-up and ready to go.

I read up all the 101s about Boxing: style of fighters, different names of punches, big names in the scene, famous quotes and the result: Oathbreaker. 

Besides the very “Slammable” opening riffs, I was also very pleased with how the the hook turned out. It’s kind of addictive and makes you want to repeat it in your mind all day long. A little like Drake’s “Started from the Bottom”. You’ll probably find yourself whispering the chorus to yourself uncontrollably when you’re in the bathroom or something. 

Trivial: Rex consider this as one of our “B” side tracks and did not think very highly of it. I also thought that my vocals could be more aggressive. However, Oathbreaker turns out to be one of the songs that really catches people’s attention and it was specially mentioned by a number of guest in our talk show. I am so pleased that people like it. 

Thanks for listening to “Oathbreaker”. You can find him at https://www.instagram.com/darryledmund/?hl=en 

I look forward to watching DEOK walk out this song live one day before the fight in a ring. I think #immagonnacry when that happens. 

1 comment:

DEOK said...

Hells Yeah!!!!
Cant wait to walkout to this killer track
\m/